The December 2020 Rambler is now available!
The September 2020 Rambler is now available!
Attention OVMRC Membership – Proposed Revisions to the OVMRC By-Laws
Available for download are the “Proposed Revisions to the OVMRC By-Laws”. The Club’s executive committee members have been working on revising the Club’s By-Laws for several weeks and wish to raise a motion of acceptance by the membership at the May, 2019 meeting.
The main areas of revision include:
- Removal section 9.5 “Limitations on Terms of Office” that restricts Directors (President, Vice President, Treasurer, or Secretary) to serve more than 3 consecutive terms (of 1 year) in the same Director position. ( At the present time, this restriction would prevent our existing Treasurer continuing to serve in that position for another year. ) Of course, all incumbent Directors that agree to continue serving the Club can be challenged by appropriate nomination of another willing and eligible candidate and election at the Annual General Meeting in June.
- Adding to the responsibility of the Treasurer position the keeping of the membership database to facilitate better correlation of membership status with the payment of annual membership dues.
- Renaming what was previously known as the “Membership Committee” to “Reception and Welcoming Committee” and transferring the keeping of membership records to the Treasurer as indicated above.
- Removal of the “Amateur Radio Exhibit Committee” as the exhibit station at the Museum no longer exists.
- Many other word editing changes of various sections in keeping with name changes of the Department responsible to radio spectrum matters.
- Other additions to some sections to better define responsibilities of Directors and Committees, timing of posting notices, and methods of communicating business matters to the membership.
For preparation of a membership vote on the Proposed Revisions, please read the highlighted and commented areas of change available for download here: https://www.ovmrc.on.ca/Rambler/OVMRC_Proposed_Revisions_to_BYLAWS_for_Approval_May_2019.pdf .
Compare with the original document (2012) found at: https://www.ovmrc.on.ca/Rambler/OVMRC_By-Laws_2012-04-26.pdf .
Also, the Club’s executive committee seeks nominations for eligible and willing Club members (see section 8.2 of the By-Laws) that wish to serve the Club for any of the Director positions or chairpersons of committees as defined in the By-Laws. Such nominations can be sent to any Director of the Club and a determination will be made whether or not the candidate is eligible.
Norm Rashleigh, VE3LC@rac.ca
Greetings to all that have indicated an interest enrolling in this year’s Amateur Radio Course sponsored by the Ottawa Valley Mobile Radio Club Inc. We have had over 40 people that have indicated an interest in taking our course over that last many months. If anybody has previously expressed an interest in the 2018 course but no longer intends registering for the course conducted weekly, Monday evenings at the Science and Technology Museum until mid-December, please let us know now so we can make space for another student. That said, regular attendance is not necessary for completing the course and being successful on the examination.
Registration will be Monday evening, 17 September, at 19h00 at the Canada Science and Technology Museum located at 1867 St. Laurent, Ottawa. Enter on the south side, directly into Studio 6 as shown on the map below (click map to open large version in a new tab):
Come as early as 6:45 pm if you wish; this will help us commence the formalities of collecting your registration form and tuition fee. The cost of the course is $100 by cheque payable to the Ottawa Valley Mobile Radio Club (or OVMRC for short) or by cash. Your fee includes a one year membership in our Club and helps us cover the costs of insurance and for rental of the meeting room(s) at the Museum and entitles you to take the ISED Federal Government Exam for your Basic Amateur Radio Qualification Certificate following the course, free of additional charge. Members of the Club provide services teaching this course on a volunteer basis and receive no personal remuneration.
Please print out this registration form, fill out and have ready for next Monday. If for any reason you can not attend next Monday, formal registration can take place at the first class you can attend.
Following registration, a presentation will be given on the course syllabus and objectives, in general terms what amateur radio is all about, and specifically indicating the wonderful amount of radio spectrum that is allocated nationally and internationally to the amateur radio service. Be prepared to stay until 21h30. This kick-off lecture is available for your review at:
We meet for class indicated as Studio 6 on the map above. Parking for the course is free of charge in the designated area “OVMRC Parking Lot”. Parking anywhere else may result in a parking ticket if you do not pay the prescribed $4.
Click here for our schedule of classes and topics; this is subject to change depending on how we progress.
We also invite you all to take an interest in our regular meetings schedule and activities of the Ottawa Valley Mobile Radio Club. These meetings in themselves can be very tutorial to the aspiring radio amateur. Our Club meetings are scheduled on the 3rd Wednesday evening of the month commencing September 19th in the same meeting room as the course. For up-to-date information about the agenda and presenter, tune into the Club web site https://www.ovmrc.on.ca/ . Our Newsletter is called the “Ramber” and is published at the beginning of every month and is available and archived on our Web site. You may wish to “Subscribe” for Club notifications about posting of the current newsletter and other amateur radio event information.